Searcy Memorial United Methodist Church was founded in 1901 as the Third Methodist Episcopal Church, an offshoot of a Sunday School class held in the Morrison family home. Mrs. H. R. (Sally) Kilgore and her children picked cotton off the plot of ground where the 1901 church was constructed. With seed money and land donated by Spalding Mills the Third M. E. Church began serving the community of East Griffin.

Quoting from the records for the District Conference, held in Forsyth, Georgia on June 29, 1901,"Mr. J. J. Mangham of the Spalding Mills has built a beautiful church about one mile from the First Church in East Griffin. The company donated the lot and with assistance of the Griffin people and outside friends have built a most creditable house. It has been deeded to the M. E. Church, South."

The Reverend E. W. Ballenger was the first pastor. Having already been appointed and serving as the pastor of Hanleiter Methodist Episcopal Church, Rev. Ballenger served both charges for a combined salary of $500. W. E. H. Searcy, Sr. served as Sunday School Superintendent until his death in March, 1928. His son W. E. H. Searcy, Jr., was elected to succeed his father and he was very active in the church until his death 11 years later.

The Searcy Bell, forged in Hillsboro, Ohio, was affixed in the bell tower of the new church. Right away it went to work . Not only did it tell everyone in the community that it was time for church services but it was used for other tasks as well. It tolled for the bad news and for the good. The bell tolled for the sinking of the Titanic, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and for the death of a neighbor. It tolled for the end of two World Wars and for the celebration of marriages and the birth of children.

On September 30, 1934, the church conference adopted a resolution to change the name of the church from the Third Methodist Episcopal Church to Searcy Memorial Methodist Church. This was confirmed by the fourth quarterly conference held at the church on October 14, 1934. In 1952, the original 1901 building was torn down and the current education building was erected. Reverend Bill Sleamaker was the pastor. This building not only provided Sunday School classes but also served as the Sunday worship hall.

Reverend Charles W. Naish, Jr. was appointed pastor in June, 1959, and in October a called session of the quarterly conference adopted a resolution to construct a new sanctuary. The ground-breaking ceremony was held on November 10, 1959, with District Superintendent Reverend J. C. Calloway presiding. On March 20, 1960, the new sanctuary was dedicated.

On Sunday, March 18, 2001, the congregation and friends of Searcy Memorial United Methodist Church celebrated 100 years of historic ministry at the church's Centennial Homecoming.

   a

back to home page